Saturday, December 31, 2011

2011 in Questions


As I age, the more I come to understand tempus fugit only I like to reflect on ‘time flees’ instead of ‘time flies’ as fleeing implies running away from something only time is running a marathon and is quickly putting miles between all of us. 2011 was a great year, one that felt of transition and waiting for things to happen. New experiences and great love made 2011. 

1. What did you do in 2011 that you’d never done before?
Gave birth, which is to date the greatest albeit most intense exercise of the mind body connection and meditation I have ever gone through.
Learned how to take care of a newborn. I am glad I don’t really remember those first few weeks.
Fall in love even more with my fiancé and son.
Navigated the dangerous line of mother, worker, lover, friend and sleeper while finishing my last year of college. Honestly, I am just happy I completed my 5 UNM and 2 correspondence classes for this semester.

2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?

Last year I was pregnant and had a baby so my resolutions included eating more ice chips and taking naps. This year I have decided to forgo the formal resolutions and have thoughtfully chosen a word that will be my immediate focus.
Concentration. This is what I am going to work on.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?

2011 was a busy baby year! Beside myself, I have seen all my birth center friends give birth, Kathy, Kat, Kathryn, Vanessa, Jessica and a handful of Facebook friends. So many beautiful babies!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No, thankfully

5. What countries did you visit?
2011 was a deplorable travel year. I only left New Mexico once when we drove to Austin, Texas to visit Melissa and go to Ikea where I went into a nesting frenzy.

6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Sleep! No really, sleep. Everyone’s myself included.

7. What dates from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
July 11- my due date where I was at work and not having a baby
July 14-16 walking many miles in the July heat by a ditch to get this baby out! Chick fil a in labor, walking Cottonwood Mall, Pei Wei, Despicable Me, Dar a Luz and baby.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?

Finishing three semesters at UNM for my undergrad degrees. I didn’t drop a class and my lowest grade is a C+ (I blame the fickle Italian!) and I got 6 A’s and a few B’s. Overall good job!

9. What was your biggest failure?
Losing my temper and not paying attention to the bigger picture of the journey.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Bout of gross stomach flu, an ass kicking migraine and pregnancy related maladies.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
·      Bedroom furniture from Ikea giving us a proper space to live in and learn to be parents
·      MacBook for llama
·      Baby Legs

12. Where did most of your money go?
·      Car payments, debt, baby related money, Dar a Luz for the birth.

13. What did you get really excited about?
Meeting friend’s babies and birth in general

14. What song will always remind you of 2011?
“Beautiful Boy” by John Lennon. It was the first song we played after Archer was born.

15. Compared to this time last year, are you:

– happier or sadder? happier
– thinner or fatter? Fatter but I’m still working on the baby weight
– richer or poorer? Same but 2012 is going to be a more conscious year


16. What do you wish you’d done more of?

Slept, read more books I wanted to read and took more pictures.

17. What do you wish you’d done less of?

Homework, Facebook and eating crap

18. How did you spend Christmas?
In Albuquerque going to see family in town.

19. What was your favorite TV program?
True Blood was high on that list. It’s a mixture of the last trimester and strange storyline that makes it stand out.

20. What were your favorite books of the year?
The Hunger Games trilogy so far, but the movie is going to come out in 2012 so watch out for the band wagon.

21. What was your favorite music from this year?

I have curated some complex Pandora stations that I listen to daily. Standouts include Carla Bruni, Ellie Golding, Lily Allen and Adele.

22. What were your favorite films of the year?
Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part II and Bridesmaids

23. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 8 months pregnant but I went to the neurologist for llama, had a couples massage and went to PF Changs for dinner with Melissa, Liz, Jessie, Krissy, llama, Ashley and myself. Overall a great birthday!

24. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Going through with my birth plan: no drugs, no IV and free movement.

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
What would ever go around the preggo heft and then what would fit around the post-preggo aftermath. 2012 will be better in this area.

26. What kept you sane?
Llama hands down. He talked me down from the scary what if pregnancy ledge many, many times.

27. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011.

Anything good is worth the wait. Love will always prevail. Never underestimate the value of a good night’s sleep.